Sunday, November 2, 2008

Confessions of a Diet Coke addict


To paraphrase Robert Palmer I might as well face it, I'm addicted to Diet Coke. Encouraged by the Bad Mothers, I am giving up today. I've poured my last Diet Cokes down the sink and am going to try to go cold turkey. I expect headaches and withdrawal but I've got to do it.


I've done it before. I can remember exactly when and where, it was the New Year and I was at the stained glass museum in Ely. I just gave up like that! I must have been clean for about two years when I was at an event where I was the designated driver. There was nothing non-alcoholic to drink but Diet Coke and before I knew it I was hooked again.


When I was off the cokes before, I wondered what on earth I'd seen in them. Coke isn't that nice really but for me it has become a ritual. The two Diet Cokes before I start work, the satisfying sound of the ring pull opening, the shiny silver cans. I know it sound ridiculous but like a drug addict I'm as into the gear as the substance. Basically I'm addicted to the caffeine though.


I've decided to make my decision to give up public, announcing it on Facebook and BMC. My thinking is that if I shout it out, I'll be embarrassed to fail. Just hope I can do it. Aaaagh!


No comments: