Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Let me entertain you

I was in bed last night musing on what a stupid name for a show 'The Vagina Monologues' is. If my vagina was in a show-business, I wouldn't settle for a monologue or even, ahem, a 'talking head'. I'd want to really put on a show with musical numbers, magic tricks and guest artistes. There might even be artistic tableaux and some mind reading activity a la Derren Brown. In fact I might even take it to Edinburgh and call it 'Minge on the Fringe'.

Of course the benefit of a show called 'The Vagina Monologues' is that it desensitizes people to the very word. Even maiden aunts of the most proper kind, receive flyers for the the local theatre containing the 'v' word. Every Z list actress in the world - and some non-actresses - seems to have been in it so you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be on round your way at some point.

Since the show began you can even say 'vagina' in the office without shocking anyone as in 'Have you seen The Vagina Monologues?' (although never as in 'Have you seen my vagina?' - this can result in dismissal on the grounds of gross misconduct).

So hoorah to TVM for helping the 'v word take flight but c'mon let's have Vaudeville Vulvas, full of fun and old-fashioned, family entertainment.

ETA: I've never seen 'The Vagina Monologues'.







No comments: