Friday, January 29, 2010

Music to be blue by

According to William Congreve 'Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast'. Well my breast has been pretty savage recently, in fact both my breasts. And it was to music I turned to help me with what we prefer to call PMT these days.

The music I turned to was my typical PMT fare. I suddenly have a craving for Liza Minnelli, show tunes and Rufus Wainwright droning on about this and that. I want to listen to the final trio in Der Rosenkavalier and torment myself with Scott Walker singing Jacques Brel songs. There's definitely a camp theme to the sound track of my hormones, I can't deny it.

I am wondering whether it's possible to change ones mood by making happier music choices. Certainly when I'm feeling on top of the world I like listening to dance music, kitsch sixties tracks and jolly bebop. Could I prescribe these to myself when I have the premenstrual blues or are my miserable choices doing a job? Are they channelling my feelings of disorientation, low self-esteem and self-doubt or exacerbating them?

Next time the black dog descends I'm going to force a diet of jolly, inconsequential music on myself. I could end up tearing a picture of Britney Spears to shreds but it's worth a try.

No comments: