Saturday, February 14, 2009

Taken to task

A friend contacted me today to remonstrate with me, kindly, about a comment I made about myself on my blog. I have a tendency, especially at those tricky times of the month, to target my sense of humour at myself in a self-deprecating, sometimes savage, way. I thought I was making a joke at my own expense but when I thought about it, I had to agree that I had been ungenerous about myself in a way I would never be about anyone else. So I've edited out the offending comment.

It's always hard this sort of thing. On the one hand I do want to be at peace with myself, feeling deep and satisfying self-love and enjoying the wonders of security and self-esteem. On the other hand, my hang-ups are part of what I am. Perhaps the trick is to use those hang-ups in a more positive way and to afford myself the same respect as I would afford another human being.

So I stand corrected, thank my friend for caring enough to tell me and am going to check myself in the future. Lecture over!

No comments: